Listed on Rivals.com as the seventh best cornerback prospect in the country, Yuri Wright was kicked out of Don Bosco Prep for tweets he posted on his private Twitter account throughout all of last semester and last summer.
Wright’s Twitter account, now deleted, was a private account, meaning its purpose was only to allow his friends to see his posts. If you had wanted to follow him, you would have had to submit a “Request to Follow” for @YuriWright3. A few weeks ago, I did. The request was accept, although I’d never talked to him before or met him in my life. Although private, Yuri Wright had over 1,500 followers (no word as to what percent were real friends).
Wright’s high school football coach said Don Bosco had to do what it had to do, by kicking out one of two star cornerbacks. The other, Elijah Shumate, is committed to Notre Dame. Rumors have been swirling that Wright would be joining Shumate at Notre Dame with a commitment on National Signing Day, Feb. 1.
Shumate had a Twitter account, too, which I followed and no longer exists; however, unlike Wright, Shumate hardly ever tweeted. Now committed to Notre Dame, and trying to build a fan base for himself, Shumate has created a new account, @ElijahShumate. His is a public account, yet he only has 568 followers. Shumate has tweeted multiple times about how excited he is to get to 600 followers.
While the rumors may or may not be true — Shumate had said a few weeks ago that he doesn’t know where Wright is going to commit — it may not be up to Wright any more. Based on Rivals.com recruiting profile, Wright is being heavily recruited by Notre Dame, Rutgers, Colorado, Georgia, and Michigan; however, Michigan has reportedly already rescinded their scholarship offer.
Some of Wright’s tweets, deemed sexually inappropriate, explicit, and racially inappropriate include some of the following. The following are his words (not mine):
You may see more of his tweets: click here
Don Bosco Prep is a Catholic school in Ramsey, N.J. and Wright’s head coach said tweets like Wright was posting “cannot happen.” The coach, Greg Toal, said “It was totally inappropriate.”
Toal went on to say that Wright had been warned, as you can see from the above tweets he had been writing this kind of thing for months. “We told (Wright) about 10 to 15 times to get off (Twitter) and not be involved in it, but there is always somebody who thinks he knows better,” Toal told ESPNNewYork. “What he wrote was pretty bad … I can’t even say what he wrote.” Toal said the school had warned Wright numerous times that if he didn’t stop there would be consequences for his action.
There has been no reporting recently as to if the other schools recruiting Wright are still pursuing the top cornerback.